Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Ain't No Saguaros in Texas (Andre)


As Laura has been writing, one of the several jobs I did while we were in Tampa for the winter was as a data collector for the National Youth Tobacco Survey. This is an annual survey by the CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention) that tracks youth attitudes towards all things tobacco. My job was to travel to schools, mostly in the southeast, and conduct the survey with classes of students and send the data back for processing and analysis.

While I was hired as the data collector for the Florida/southeast region, I also got to travel to Alabama (twice), Dallas and Houston. As the project has been winding down I also got to travel to the Philadelphia and Chicago area and last week did schools south of Phoenix, AZ. The work began the first week of February and continued steadily through April and now into May. Though, I don’t expect to get any more calls, though you never know.

As you may know, we enjoy travel, so that has been a major perk of the job. Additionally, it has provided opportunities to visit people along the way. I was able to visit with Dylan and his girlfriend in Maryland,  Dylan again in Philadelphia, my sister Jo-Anne in Pensacola, FL, my sister Anne Marie in Houston, and my brother-in-law in Chicago – which Laura also accompanied me to! (I actually conducted surveys at my nephew’s school – small world.)

As to saguaros, as you can see by the picture below they are large cacti that look like they have large, extended arms.


Well, when I travelled to Arizona and saw all the saguaros it immediately made me think of this great and funny song by a band we like, the Reverend Horton Heat. So, if you want to learn a bit about cacti, Texas, Arizona, and want to hear a good song, at least one we enjoy click on the link below.

No comments:

Post a Comment