Sunday, March 24, 2013

Rainbow Denied

I just don't get the South! Or at least I don't get the Southern Sky. You see, I'm somewhat of a self-described expert when it comes to rainbows. I have excellent rainbow radar - that is, I can always seem to tell when a rainbow is about to occur, or should occur.  Ask anybody who has ever been in a car or on a walk with me when rainbow conditions begin to develop. I always get it right. Always. Until today!  My Mom and I had just run to Publix for some groceries and as we exited the store I felt that 'ol rainbow excitement' begin to bubble up. The conditions were perfect. Dark sky, raining, and then sudden sunshine along with the rain drops. I immediately recognized that unusual lighting condition that is usually present and expectantly waited. And waited. And waited.

With a frown, I got in the car and we started back to the house only to have the same conditions repeat themselves twice more.  Each time I was positive we were at "ground rainbow", only to be denied the satisfaction of seeing the rainbow (and being right). Arrghghh. It was especially annoying because a year or so ago, my son Nick gave me a beautiful leather journal with my name inscribed on it that I had been saving until we hit the road with the intention of using it as a rainbow journal. The plan was to record each rainbow I saw along the way and perhaps write a few paragraphs about where we were, etc. Well this journal remains EMPTY. Like I said, I just don't get it. I think Florida must have some kind of rainbow deficiency.  I'm sure it's not me.  Oh well, there's always Texas....

No comments:

Post a Comment