Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Sending Some Gravel Love & Happy Birthday Robin!

Sitting here in the van tonight, 3 1/2 weeks into this new life, I've been thinking about my family (the Gravel side) and thinking how this new life will impact my relationships with my five siblings who are spread across the country.  Up until now, I've had the opportunity to share much more closely in the lives of the siblings who lived nearby; my "baby" sister Robin in Rhode Island just a few towns away and my brother Scott, the sibling closest to me in age, who was just a few hours drive away in  New Hampshire.

Now, as we've hit the road full time, this new mobile life will provide the opportunity to visit and build stronger bonds with the "out of towners", those siblings with whom I share family memories and childhood adventures, but who have not been a daily fixture in my "grown up" life. Sitting back for a few weeks with time to reflect on my prior existence has really driven home the reality of how busy every single day was - how every single moment was filled with obligations, responsibilities, places to be, and things that "had" to get done. Of course a great many of these things were legitimate - truly necessary- but many others were self-generated, whether by an inability to say no or sometimes just an unwillingness to make honest assessments about the value of our own time.

Well no more excuses for me. I have plenty of time and I commit to making better use of it now - and that includes working harder at maintaining relationships with siblings (both Andre's and mine), parents, friends and all those who have meaning in my life.  So Kathy, Mike & Jim, that's fair warning to you that I'm coming your way! And Scott and Robin, I won't forget about you either. I love you all and look forward to seeing you all in our travels again soon.

And by the way - HAPPY BIRTHDAY LITTLE SIS!

Happy Birthday to my Best Little Sister - I miss you!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey skinny!!! You need to take some of your new found time and get back to writing. Your ability to translate reflective thoughts and feelings into words that humankind can relate to is quite a gift Laura. My suggestion is that you start writing a book about "life" but with your really funny (quirky) sense of humor scattered throughout. Sort of like Erma Bombeck but with your own take on things. Anyway, you look great and sound happy and that's wonderful. Take care, Polly

    ReplyDelete